Most mountain wedding venues don't have quick & easy access to a convenience store so it's really important to pack a little emergency kit to have with you as you get ready on your wedding day in case any fashion emergencies arrive. In my years of photographing weddings I've compiled a list of the most commonly needed items on wedding days.
Waiting 20 minutes for a hotel front desk to find and deliver a pair of scissors can cause a big delay so be sure to have a pair of scissors with you, it is rare that I am in a room photographing a bride getting ready where a pair of scissors isn't necessary. I would say scissors are the most commonly ask for item during wedding preparations.
If you have a wedding dress with little loops and tiny buttons a crochet hook can help in doing your dress up easily.
I have witnessed the zipper breaking on a wedding dress moments before the wedding ceremony several times. Having a needle and thread and a pair of scissors so the bride can be sewed into her wedding gown is essential should the zipper fail.
Here's my list of items to pack in your wedding day emergency kit:
- Scissors Small and sharp! An absolute must have in the bridal suite.
- Needle & Thread Hopefully you won't have to use it but if you need it you need it.
- Extra Earring Backs I've been to a lot of weddings where an earring back gets dropped on the floor rendering the earrings useless so bring extra backs.
- Sunscreen You don't want a burn that lives on in your wedding photographs forever. Besides arriving to your honeymoon with a sunburn is never fun.
- Lint Roller for the boy's suits
- Static Cling for bridesmaids' dresses
- Pepto Bismol & Advil and anything else to settle tummies and headaches
- Band Aids for blistered feet
- Krazy Glue or whatever else might work should your heel go astray.
- Bug Spray
- Stain Remover Somehow a groom's collar always ends up with lipstick on it from hugs. Better yet bring 2 shirts for the groom!
- Crochet Hook if you have a dress with a million tiny buttons that do up with tiny loops
- Safety Pins
- Bobby Pins
- Lipstick Extra tube of your wedding day lipstick for touch ups
- Mints because gum always looks terrible in photos
- Handkerchief for happy tears, looks much better than a wadded up ball of kleenex
- Chapstick & Lotion It's very dry in Alberta so be sure to bring along your favourite chapstick and lotion
What would you add to the above list?